Terry: I started in 2006, it was my first one: August of 06. It was a half Ironman.
Calvin: Half Ironman?
T: It was a huge mistake ... I was unprepared for the bike leg mostly. I borrowed my dad’s old roadbike, which was about 20 years old at the time. He hadn’t ridden it in a long time. It had a gear set on it that was made for Nebraska where it’s all flat, and … the bike course was just brutal hills the entire time ... I didn’t really know a whole lot going into it and definitely was humbled by the experience. I came in last place in my age group.
***
C: What made you say, all right, let’s do this triathlon?
T: Well actually I started working here in February of '06 cause I was in school [The New School] and it’s right around the corner. And I’d been interested in running, and I figured it was a good part time job to pick up ... [O]ne of the guys that worked here qualified for the Hawaii Ironman (*note: Hawaii Ironman is the world championship triathlete race) that year, and he kind of just gave me a little bit of schooling on the sport and convinced me to maybe give it a shot.
And of course, at that point, my mentality was: unless it’s a really long race, there’s no point in doing it because you can’t really … I don’t know.
Doing marathons kind of made me…fulfilled some kind of wacky and lame self absorbed purpose. It was something I kind of took pride in … in not the greatest way looking back on it.
...So I guess this was like I’ve done marathons, what’s the next challenge? So that’s kind of the reason why I started it. And then also the reason why I picked something like a half-ironman to start with because I looked at Olympic distance races (*note: olympic distance is .9 miles swimming, 25.8 miles cycling and 6.4 miles running) and was like, eh, 6 mile run I can do that; 25 mile bike, that’s really easy. I figured that a half-ironman would be more of a place to add another notch to the self absorbed belt. The hubris belt.
***
Terry: I think another thing is that you get to a point where just the whole activity of exercise becomes habit and, in a way, addictive. And not in the macho, I’m addicted to working out sense, but just it becomes something that is a tremendous mental workout as well. Like I can get a lot of thinking done when I’m on the bike or going out for a run. Kind of gives your brain a break from really working.
***
Terry: They’ll usually come from athletes who have gotten to a really high level in one sport, they can’t quite break through, but since they’re sort of used to working you — and that’s just an a part of their life. You can pick up the other two fairly quickly and there’s an old saying about triathletes: They don’t do anything well, but they do the three sports well enough.
Calvin,
ReplyDeleteThis is a bit too short but Terry said some interesting things; you made good selections. I would have liked to know what all the questions were that elicited his responses--you only included a couple. At the top (or at the very bottom) I think you should offer the standard definitions of a triathlon, Ironman, half ironman, and Olympic distance.
One of the things we liked about this, in class, was the way he's self-effacing. I'd like to know more about his ambivalence regarding triathlons. Have people made him feel bad about it? Is it common for a triathlete to comment on his own hubris, to talk about the question of addiction?
Please add location (e.g., near the cash register?) and time of day of the interview. And don't forget your "About Me" of ~100 words.